Sunday, June 08, 2008

Aigerim

Last night I took a group a boys to a friends house to celebrate the declaration of their mutual friend Aigerim. In the Bahá'í Faith, at the age of 15, a person has reached the age of reasoning. This means that they can make the decision as to what they believe in and other significant issues facing them in their lives. The age of maturity is 21. If you are raised in a Bahá'í family there is nothing an individual does to remain a Bahá'í. However, in my generation we were required to sign a card stating that is what we intended. As a result of this and other factors, many families have made an event out of a child who has reached the age of reasoning. One of the beauties of this Faith is that there is, for the most part, no traditions or rituals. Last night we gathered for celebrating Aigerims declaration. It was a wonderful event and everyone had fun.

I grew up with Aigerim's parents in the Houston area and was at their wedding. I remember when I heard that they had adopted Aigerim from Kazakhstan and how intrigued I was at what turned out to be the first of four adoptions, bringing to total 8 children. I have watched Aigerim grow up since they moved here in 2001. Last night, before everyone gathered together, I thought about her and the years that have passed. I reflected and found this poem coming to me.

AIGERIM

You come from the East
In hope of peace
On wings of love
from Him above

With your love you bless
Serving mankind
Working hard you press

Your smile brightens our day
Your soul flies up and away
Bringing to all
As today you heed His call

Looking forward
to your life ahead
no thoughts of sorrows
a life of service instead

So many you will reach
So many you will teach
Many a formidable wall
Will you breach

Remember as you go through life
Through the joys and strife
That never alone will you be
For we are always with you
Your family
-Shiidon, June 2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home