Sunday, April 11, 2010

Soul Purging

SOUL PURGING

Drop by drop

My past cries away

Looking towards

A new day


To what end

Did my will bend

Holding on to past

And focusing on that

Which cannot last


I needed one

last look behind

For myself, to find

And now to the future

Do I mind


Connections drift apart

As I prepare to depart

And I see myself

with a new start


The days ahead

Bring a certain dread

When thinking of changes

Of expansive ranges


How can we grow

If we don’t strive

How can we say

We’re truly alive


The tears that flow

Purge within

making way

for the new day


cleansed and refreshed

freed from what

my soul enmeshed


I look below

At the pool of tears

The product of

So many years

How is it we hold on

And of our troubles

Woebegone


We wallow

In our pain

Ourselves besmirch

Not willing

The answers to search


Then the tears

Like friends

Of long lost years

Come back to clean

What to now would seem

The cumulative dross

Of unfulfilled dreams


And now i’m spent

I raise up, forge on

Towards the heavens

I am drawn

For me

A new day doth dawn

-Shiidon, April 2009

Self reflection and introspection are tools we don't always use. I have been on a roll when it comes to these two things over the past month. One thing for sure, I am appreciating the experience of the journey of the spirit I am on. This is not about a physical departing but a spiritual journey. I have, while focused on the outside realm, become more and more detached from this world of dust. I enjoy my house, my family, my work, my friends my community and my faith. But it is the last that is what I am more and more focused on. No, not in an obsessed manner or way that would describe me as a zealot. I am simply floating in the atmosphere of the spirit. The more I look at the things of this world the more I realize that they are just, well, things. I was MC at an event this past week. Up to the time we were to start I found myself outside the Bahá'í Center inebriated with the perfume of roses in the garden. What a way to elevate the soul!

Something I read today from the Book of Certitude by Bahá'u'lláh seemed to enhance the poems meaning to me, though I wrote the poem lat last night. I leave you with these words.

Thus Jesus, Son of Mary, whilst seated one day and speaking in the strain of the Holy Spirit, uttered words such as these: "O people! My food is the grass of the field, wherewith I satisfy my hunger. My bed is the dust, my lamp in the night the light of the moon, and my steed my own feet. Behold, who on earth is richer than I?" By the righteousness of God! Thousands of treasures circle round this poverty, and a myriad kingdoms of glory yearn for such abasement! Shouldst thou attain to a drop of the ocean of the inner meaning of these words, thou wouldst surely forsake the world and all that is therein, and, as the Phoenix wouldst consume thyself in the flames of the undying Fire. Kitáb-I-Iqán, page 130-131.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home