Thursday, January 15, 2009

Butterflies

BUTTERFLIES

Methinks I spy

With mine eye

Upon yonder twig

A butterfly

 

Twas times untoward

When naefre  a word

Couldst resolve yon troubles

Like a well placed sword

 

Forsooth indeed

Whenst we take heed

Of the smallest of creatures

That captures our heart

In such a way

No sword can part

-Shiidon, November 2008

I just finished writing a short story when I remembered this poem.  I thought I would post it here.  A friend challenged me to write a poem in old English.  While this is not in old English (as my friend Ben will quickly point out) it has a taste or flavor of olden times.

Woes and troubles are surrounding us.  We are beginning to resemble the covered wagons of the old west pulling in a circle and lighting a fire in the center to push back the darkness of night.  A friend told me that her husbands company was expected to lay off ten percent of the workforce.  They ended up laying off thirty percent and he was lucky to not be one of those to go.  Last Friday another friend was laid off from another computer company.  I am seeing trials and tribulations surrounding all of us individually, family and groups ever larger until the whole of humanity is embroiled in the midst of these tests.  In the meantime, being in the automotive repair business we have never had as busy a time as we have now.  It is a juxtaposition in a way, seemingly unrelated in that there is profound failures next to increased success.  Yet indeed there is a correlation and one that breeds an unfamiliarity of its own.  How long will the success or failures continue and will they continue along the same lines or begin to mesh and embrace each other to the point were the success and failure are the same.  Yet in a way they already are.

As I have been taught and understand, that crisis and victory go hand in hand.  The thing that keeps me going in these troubled times is the knowledge that we will make it through this into a time that was only dreamed of in its promise of hope and justice.  This will not happen in my lifetime but to witness the beginning of the steps that will lead us to this golden age is a blessing.  Like a caterpillar we will become that butterfly.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home