Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ashlynn Joon

ASHLYNN JOON

Oh little one

When you cry

The angels sigh

And when you smile

I can find none to rival


When held tight

There is nothing

That brings fright

In parents arms

There is no harm

And oh such a sight


The world is new

Not for me

But for you

And in some way

I look through your eye

And a glorious future

Do I spy


What will you know of me

In the days to come

And what will you become

And how much of it

Shall I see


Your mom and dad

Will in these days

Guide you through life

And its myriad ways


Don’t rush too fast

Take each moment

And make it last


Whatever may come to pass

Know this oh little lass

That I love you

With all my heart

Though someday we’ll be apart


Whether here

Or the world above

Be assured

Of my love.

-Shiidon, April 2010

So it would seem I am on a roll, three poems in less than 24 hours. I was thinking about my granddaughter, Ashlynn. This poem just started flowing and I had to stop what I was doing or risk losing it. I find myself feeling too young to be a grandfather but it is so. Alien as it is to me I am getting used to it. I have had to reevaluate what my perception of grandparent is. It is not old, ancient and decrepit. I, who feel there is still so much of life ahead of me, have a new dynamic added to what I am. My parents are in New Mexico, one brother in Boston, children in three different cities now. This is the modern world. Who knows if I will move or little Ashlynn will move. It just is almost a certainty that we will not always be together in the same area. So, I wrote this little poem for her to remember me by, in the years to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home