Thursday, January 19, 2012

Reaching the Summit


REACHING THE SUMMIT

To know one’s self
Allows us to
Our obsessions shelf
From one moment
To another
Our former habits
No longer bother

When immersed
In actions perverse
We see no hope
Nor the scope
As we with our behavior
Do cope

To reach the summit
In lieu of the plummet
Towards which I was headed
And for a long time dreaded
Washes one with joy
At the freedom it brings
And how the heart sings
Let the celebratory bells ring

We are of nature’s two
The baser one
And the one that is true
We go through life
Searching for
The right thing to do

How can one regret
The lessons learned
From self-neglect
And the attainment
Of self-respect

I look instead
At the road ahead
No longer living
A life of dread

Oh what a sight
A future
I know to be bright
Though truly
I do not know
For my future
Does not yet show
Though through these lessons
Do we grow
-Shiidon, January 2012

I was reflecting on an interaction today.  There is a delivery person that comes in most days at work.  I learned a few weeks ago that she is trying to quit smoking.  I now ask her every day how many, she answers.  She has gone from more than a pack a day down to one or one and a half a day.  I am both encouraged by her success and encouraging to her in my support.  I always make sure to affirm her successes.  It seems that many of us struggle with habits and or behaviors that we don't like but are trapped in.  This poem stems from that thought.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home