Saturday, February 20, 2016

Uncle Dave

UNCLE DAVE

Love
                That’s what’s left
As I sit here
                Bereft

Thinking, reflecting
On all I have
The memories
                The stories
                                The laughter
                                                The smile
                                                                Now gone

My heart aches
As it weighs its loss
Hoping this pain, will last
So in some way
I can hold on
To as much of you
As I can

I know and understand
That life goes on
And my turn will come
Anon

I don’t want
                Will not
                                Let you go
Into the fog of time
In my heart you still glow

You understood
What family means
You opened your heart
And let us in
Where the greater power
Did shine within

Your certitude
Carried through
As when we last spoke
Of this day to come
In retrospect
How profound
You were
In accepting fate

For those of you
Who have gone ahead
Where do we turn
For wisdom, instead?
Where is that love
Where are those memories
Slipping away

And now it would seem
Our day is arising
The recipients
Of your words and deeds
And from those we take heed
And mount our steeds
And with ensigns held high
Ride upright and forward
Into the unknown
And until that fateful day
When we, it will be
That you welcome home

-Shiidon, February 18, 2016

I wrote this in honor of my Uncle Dave who passed away this past week.  He was the youngest of the three brothers who survived their two sisters.  My Aunt Ginny passed away years ago and their other sister passed away in childhood. I am blessed to have had a wonderful conversation with my uncle a few months ago.  We spent a lot more time in Boston together at the occasion of my brothers wedding.  He had a lot of love in his heart.  There are many conversations that are now lost and gone, yet the ones we had were sufficient to bring solace to my heart until that time when I am sure we will meet again, but not just yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home