Tuesday, April 27, 2010

If Only...


IF ONLY...

Looking back

As time goes by

Reflecting, remembering

Breathing, a deep sigh


I wanted to speak

But silence took me

Until I weeped


If only I had gone

But somewhere else

I now belong


If only I replied,

What future

have I denied


If only I stayed

How far from there

Have I strayed


If only I

Had taken heed

How different would life be

Indeed


Choices fill

Our daily lives

To new horizons

Do we arrive


But what of

Opportunities lost

And to what effect

And what cost


If chance

We neglect

We that choice

May dearly, regret


What makes us hesitate

When intuition doth dictate

Supposed reason, didst guide

Woe betide, for a truer future

May be denied


If our heart

We do not follow

Can we accept

The oncoming sorrow


Take a chance

And speak your mind

Be direct, yet gentle and kind

These choices given today

May not again

Come our way

And much to our dismay

May heavily on our heart weigh


Can one deny

A voice sincere

From anyone held dear

Nay, what holds us back

Is fear

-Shiidon, April 2010

I remember reading a post from a friend that had just watched The Bucket List. I saw that movie and was moved by it. The main song sticks out in my head at times. Indeed, we should be genuine and honest with each other as people. However, we are not always that way. This poem is about honesty and overcoming fear. In some ways, I hide behind my blog, yet at the same time it truly is overcoming a fear to be so open with an unfiltered world. This blog has been visited 2500 times from 42 countries. How is it I hide at the same time. Sometimes, I speak through my poems. whatever the muse may be it is from there that I draw my inspiration. It then takes on a life of its own and in a way each person in their own way takes that poem as their own.

The more open and honest we are the less regrets we will find ourselves wallowing in. We can take chances in life, or we can watch life pass us by.

The photo is me reading the poem to Jessica and Miles at their wedding.

(Note: while I know that weeped is not technically a word, it is used. Call it poetic license).



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home